Ayurveda Massage TherapiesFebruary 28, 2017
PanchkarmaFebruary 28, 2017
Panchkarma/ detox is a technique of purifying and detoxifying the body. It is a process to detoxify the toxins related to earth, water, fire, air and space. The body produces a lot of toxins. Sometimes it is eradicated via urine, stools or sweating. There are some toxins that require a certain route to be removed from the body. For example the toxins lying in the deeper tissues need extra effort to be removed from the body.
The objective of Panchkarma is to eradicate the disease from its root. It is carried out to restore the function of 5 sensory organs.
How does Panchkarma or detox helps -
It removes the toxins by activating all the cells of the body and removing those toxins from every single cell. This is a technique in which all the cells of the body participate thereby increasing the immune mechanism of the cells.
Detox / Panchkarma benefits: -
- Immunity enhancer
- Relieves the body from unwanted toxins
- Helps in treatment of various disorders like skin infections, Arthritis, Diabetes,
- Obesity, liver ailments, digestive ailments, reproductive system disorders, sinus
- Related problems and many more.
- It has shown very good results in Stress Management as well.
As the name suggests, Panchakarma is an amalgamation of 5 treatments to evacuate the invalid ‘dosha’ from the body. Panchakarma includes Vaman (Emesis) for excessive kapha ; Virechana (Purgation) for excessive pitta and Vasti for herbal enema. Vasti is one of the best treatments for the psychosomatic disorders and treats excessive vata. It cleanses the toxins related to earth, fire, air, water and space through colon.
- Virechana is done to clean the bowels with selected medication and involves expelling doshas through purgation for excessive pitta(dosha) in the body. This is a non painful detox method, one of the the easiest treatment with least complications to follow.
- Vamana is a therapeutic process of purgation and involves removal of ‘doshas’ through the oral route
- Anuvasan Basti is oil predominant process for detoxifying done with medicated oil
- Nirooh Basti is decoction predominant process for enema
- Nasya or Nose Medication removes the toxins via nostrils
What you should know
- Vamana helps to treat diseases like cough, asthma, indigestion, poisoning, frequent tonsillitis, nasal discharge, tuberculosis, etc.
- As a precaution, after a person goes through vamana, few things should be avoided – loud speech, overeating, continued sitting, too much walking, anger, anxiety including suppression of natural urges.
- Virechana detox therapy mainly assists to throw out toxins and doshas from liver, blood and the intestines
- Virechana helps to treat skin diseases, jaundice, constipation, headache, fistula, hemorrhoids, intestinal parasites, herpes and anemia as a detoxifying therapy. However there are contraindications from this therapy too which includes ulcerated rectum, pregnancy, obesity, diarrhea, cardiac ailments and tuberculosis.