The word Ayurveda comes from the combination of two Sanskrit words Ayu means Life and Veda means Science /knowledge that together means “Science of Life”. Ayurveda is an Indian health practice, more than 5000 years old and focuses on maintaining a relationship of body elements with other living beings and the universe. It consists of a number of disciplines, including massages (Abhyanga), body detoxification therapy including Pacnchkarma, right diet, herbal medicines, Yoga, Meditation and balancing of energies. More info..
Ayurveda referred as a divine healing system works mainly on the root cause of the disease rather than just pacifying the symptoms.
AIM OF AYURVEDA
“Swasthasya swasthya rakhshanam Aturasya vikaar prashnam ch”
1. To maintain the health of a healthy person.
2. To cure the disease of the unhealthy person Though Ayurveda is especially interested in lifestyle, when it comes to maintaining the health and beauty of the person, but natural herbs, medicines and products also play a vital role in curing the diseases. Dr Shikha Sehgal is an experienced Ayurveda Doctor in Melbourne who follows Ayurveda principles to completely treat health issues from their root.
The Five Elements
Everything in this universe is made from five elements – Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Space which are determined by the quality they possess. In the body:
- Earth defines stability and shape.
- Water defines all the bodily fluids and water.
- Fire brings heat and digestion.
- Air helps in movements and activities.
- Space represents all the body cavities.